(Big Village Near The Council House)
village located on east bank of
Onondaga Creek and extending
to this site
Onondaga Indians began to
settle here after the burning
of Onondaga Village in
Frontenac's Invasion 1696
From 1720 known as Lower
Onondaga Village and the seat
of the Iroquois Confederacy
Connasatego (Black Prince),
Caghs-Wuti-Oni and Ots-Chini-Chiata
lived here. Visited by
Moravian missionaries 1745
Erected 1933 by Syracuse Chapter, S.A.R. and State of New York.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Sons of the American Revolution series list.
Location. 42° 59.11′ N, 76° 8.611′ W. Marker is in Syracuse, New York, in Onondaga County. Marker is at the intersection of Salina Street (U.S. 11) and Dorwin Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Salina Street. Touch for map Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Iroquois Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); James E. Heath Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Indian Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Nedrow c. 1798 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Forman House (approx. 1.2 miles away); War of 1812 (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Sanatorium (approx. 1.9 miles away); Col. Van Schaick (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Syracuse.
Also see . . . Onondaga Nation Timeline. (Submitted on October 8, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 8, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.