San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The San Antonio River
The San Antonio River begins four miles north of here, fed by springs that rise from the Edwards Aquifer deep below the Texas Hill Country. The river is also fed by tributaries along its winding, southeasterly course to join the Guadalupe River near the Gulf of Mexico. A rich array of vegetation and wildlife sustained Native Americans who camped near the river for thousands of years. After the Spanish established a permanent settlement at San Antonio in 1718, missions, forts, and homes were built close to the river that provided water for agricultural and house-hold use. The meandering waterway remained essential to the growing population until the 1890s when deep artesian wells were drilled to access a steady, pure water supply. Though no longer the city's primary water source, the river was still a centerpiece of the community that some envisioned as a linear park. In 1941 efforts to beautify the river culminated with the dedication of a major Works Progress Administration project in downtown San Antonio. Extended north and south of the city center in the early 21st century to a length of thirteen miles, the San Antonio River Walk
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 29° 25.865′ N, 98° 29.403′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker can be reached from Navarro Street north of Hagner Arc, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located on the San Antonio River Walk, on the north side of the river, halfway between the Navarro Street Bridge and the Richmond Avenue Bridge. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Navarro Street Bridge (here, next to this marker); Mayor Maury Maverick Mural (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Hugman Dam (about 700 feet away); Missions in the San Antonio River Valley (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named The San Antonio River (about 800 feet away); The River in the 1900s (about 800 feet away); River Communities (about 800 feet away); The River in the 1800's (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Also see . . .
1. The San Antonio River. Although the San Antonio River has furnished drinking and irrigation water as well as power to turn the wheels of (Submitted on July 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. San Antonio River Walk. The San Antonio River Walk (also known as Paseo del Río or simply as The River Walk) is a city park and network of walkways along the banks of the San Antonio River, one story beneath the streets of San Antonio, Texas. Lined by bars, shops, restaurants, nature, public artwork, and the five historic missions, the River Walk is an important part of the city's urban fabric and a tourist attraction in its own right. (Submitted on July 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 33 times this year. Last updated on October 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.