Near Joppatowne in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected by State Roads Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1705.
Location. 39° 28.772′ N, 76° 22.519′ W. Marker is near Joppatowne, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is on Old Joppa Road, half a mile east of Maryland Route 152, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1001 Old Joppa Road, Joppa MD 21085, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Lime Kiln (approx. 1.3 miles away); Harry Gilmor's Raid (approx. 1.4 miles away); Gunpowder Falls State Park (approx. 1.4 miles away); Mill Race Entry (approx. Site of the Upper Jericho Saw Mill (approx. 1˝ miles away); Jerusalem Mills (approx. 1˝ miles away); Milestone (approx. 1˝ miles away); Franklinville (approx. 2.2 miles away).
1. History of family and site
John Norris was born December 24, 1774 and died October 16, 1829. In his later years, he was judge of Orphans' Court of Harford county.
His great great grandfather Edward was born in October 1639 in St. Mary's county. He was, in turn, the son of Thomas who was born in 1608 Congham, England and immigrated in 1630/31 to what became Nansemond County, Virginia.
In the early years, the Norris family, which passed this property down from generation to generation for two centuries, lived in a very small, one-room per floor, 3-floor plus basement stone house at this location. (see picture below)
John Norris married Mary Rooker from England, born April 12, 1785 and died July 8, 1868.
After marrying, he built a much, much larger brick house on the same land nearby, installing columns taken from a building in Baltimore city. (Editor's Note: Historical sources indicate the stone columns, frieze and achitrave
In 1810 Mary Rooker Norris named the place "Olney," as she was an admirer of the poet Cowper and his friend, the Rev. John Newton, who lived in Olney, England.
I know of no way of verifying when the new house was built, nor when John married Mary. If we are to believe that the new name of "Olney" was given by Mary Rooker Norris, it would seem that the marriage might have been somewhat before, although she was only 25 in 1810. Also, construction of the new house may well have been somewhat after 1810.
— Submitted September 3, 2011, by Richard C Norris of Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,615 times since then and 151 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 24, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2011, by Richard C Norris of Cambridge, Massachusetts. 4. submitted on June 24, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 5, 6. submitted on September 3, 2011, by Richard C Norris of Cambridge, Massachusetts. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.