Granville in Licking County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Granville Academy / The Anti-Slavery Movement
Erected 1999 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Granville Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 9-45.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RR • Agriculture • Churches & Religion • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 40° 4′ N, 82° 31.226′ W. Marker is in Granville, Ohio, in Licking County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Ohio Route 661) and Elm Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 West Elm Street, Granville OH 43023, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Colony Burying Ground, 1805 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bank of the Alexandrian Society (about 400 feet away); Founding of Granville, The Licking Company / The Granville Site "The most eligible part" (about 500 feet away); Granville Opera House (about 500 feet away); Bolen Memorial ParkThe Robbins Hunter Museum Avery-Downer House (about 800 feet away); The Elias Gilman House / The Wee White House (approx. 0.2 miles away); An Early Center of Education / Educating Young Women (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Granville.
Also see . . . The History of Granville, Licking County, Ohio. The Male and Female Academies are discussed in Chapter XLI of this book, written by Henry Bushnell and published by Press of Hann & Adair, 1889. It includes an early drawing of the building, before its 1863 conversion. (Submitted on October 18, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,470 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 17, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.