Last Memorial Day Encampment
On Memorial Day, May 31, 1920, members of Stevens Post No. 517 of The Grand Army of the Republic met on the Lititz Springs grounds for the last time. In recognition of their fallen comrades, the 15 remaining local Civil War Veterans set up tents and established a working encampment.
Long was the responsibility of Stevens Post No. 517 of the G.A.R. to decorate the graves of all U.S. Veterans. It was August 1, 1919 when officers were elected and a new American Legion Post was organized in Lititz. Chartered the following year, the newly named Garden Spot Post 56 took over decorating the graves on Memorial Day. This tradition continues today.
[Photo caption reads]
Front Row l/r - Edwin Enck, John Carpenter, Edwin Sturgis, William Smith, William Mathers
Back Row l/r - George Hackman, Urias Adams, John Crall, Hiram Demmy, Allen Hacker, John Enck, Michael Bear
Robert "Sketch" Mearig
a collector of Lititz history, who loved Lititz Springs Park
Topics. Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Parks & Recreational Areas • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Civil.
Location. 40° 9.429′ N, 76° 18.67′ W. Marker is in Lititz, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Lititz Springs Park, 24 North Broad Street, Lititz PA 17543, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Arched Bridge (here, next to this marker); Springs Head-End (a few steps from this marker); Beck Memorial Band Shell (a few steps from this marker); Music Pavilion (within shouting distance of this marker); Paul E. Beck Memorial Band Shell (within shouting distance of this marker); An Icon of Lititz Springs Park (within shouting distance of this marker); "Steps of Progress" (within shouting distance of this marker); Round House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lititz.
Regarding Last Memorial Day Encampment. From the Lititz Record newspaper (June 5, 2008):
Thinning Ranks - The Boys in Blue of '62 formed an organization here some time after the war, known as the Stevens Post No. 517, Grand Army of the Republic, affiliated with the national organization.
80 Years Ago
Thursday Morning's Record
June 7, 1928
Because of the scarcity of members, the Post here disbanded last week.
Once a flourishing organization of over 50 strong, there remain only five members, namely John Crall, William Mathers, Henry Wike, Hiram Demmy and Edwin Sturgis.
In the heyday of the Stevens Post, when Capt. John Bricker, Drs. Brobst and Roebuck, Samuel Seaber and others now dead were active, the Post held fairs and drilled regularly in the old malt house.
There are four other Civil War veterans in the town, but not members of the post, as follows: Israel Bear, John Wommert, George Hackman, and William Gable.
These nine men comprise the list of survivors, all over 80 years of age, who answered the call for their country in the stirring days of the Civil War.
The G.A.R. veterans now have their headquarters in the American Legion Home, where they moved their records and other things connected with the old Post.
Also see . . .
1. Lititz Springs Park History. (Submitted on November 13, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Grand Army of the Republic History. (Submitted on November 13, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 13, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 92 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 13, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.