Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Preston’s Division – Buckner’s Corps
Preston’s Division – Buckner’s Corps.
Col Robert C. Trigg.
Sept. 19, 1863 – Noon, 1st Position
1st Florida Cavalry (Dismounted) – Col. G. T. Maxwell.
6th Florida – Col. J. J. Finley.
7th Florida – Col. Robert Bullock.
54th Virginia – Lieut. Col. John Wade.
Peeples’ (Georgia) Battery – Capt. Tyler M. Peeples.
About noon this brigade moved to the right from the line Hunt’s house to the crest of a ridge half a mile to the north. After heavy skirmishing lasting until about 9 o’clock the brigade was sent to the right and front to reinforce Hood’s Corps then heavily engaged immediately east of Viniard’s house.
The brigade came partially under the fire of Carlin’s brigade and a portion of Wilder’s dismounted infantry covered by the woods, but it’s heaviest fighting was with Barnes’ brigade of Van Cleve’s division that had been left near Lee and Gordon’s mill and which moved up and attacked Trigg in flank. After severe fighting with these forces the latter were pushed back
The subsequent arrival of two brigades of Sheridan’s division from Lee and Gordon’s Mills compelled the withdrawal of the Confederate line to the position it occupied before the advance.
Erected 1890 by War Department. (Marker Number MT-1219.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is September 19, 1863.
Location. 34° 54.012′ N, 85° 15.083′ W. Marker is in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker can be reached from Viniard Road, half a mile east of LaFayette Road, on the right when traveling east. Parking is available in a gravel lot on the south side of Viniard Road (N 34 54.091 W 85 15.105). From the parking area on Viniard Road follow the un-paved park road (no vehicular traffic allowed) that starts at the parking area, south to the marker. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Preston's Division (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stewart's Division (about 500 feet away); 18th Indiana Battery (about 500 feet away); Buckner's Corps (about 500 feet away); Wilder's Brigade (about 18th Indiana Battery (about 600 feet away); Gregg's Brigade (about 600 feet away); 17th Indiana Mounted Infantry (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
More about this marker. Approximately 700 metal position and descriptive markers with raised lettering were installed on the Chickamauga Battlefield by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is red indicating it is for a Confederate unit.
In locating this marker I used the "Chickamauga Battlefield" map, that I purchased at the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Visitor Center, to determine both the marker number for this marker and the marker's location in relation to the rest of the park's monuments, markers, and tablets. According to the map it provides the, "numerical listing of all monuments, markers, and tablets on the Chickamauga Battlefield (using the Chick-Chatt NMP Monument Numbering System).”
Also see . . .
1. Death Knell of the Confederacy. Link to the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park web site. (Submitted on November 23, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
2. Battle of Chickamauga. Overview of the Battle of Chickamauga provided by the American Battlefield Trust. (Submitted on November 23, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 23, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 162 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 23, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.