Bastrop in Bastrop County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early History of the City of Bastrop
Long before white men arrived, this region was inhabited by Tonkawa and Comanche Indians. In 1691 the first Spanish explorers crossed this territory en route to east Texas. From their route, parts of “El Camino Real” (the King's Highway) were blazed, thus placing Bastrop on a major early travel artery.
Because El Camino Real crossed the Colorado River here, this was a strategic spot. In 1805 the Fort “Puesta del Colorado” and accompanying community were founded here to protect commerce on the road. In 1825 this area became “Mina,” one of the first settlements in the colony of Stephen F. Austin. It was named for revolutionary leader Xavier Mina.
In the years that followed, many members of its first 100 families served in the Texas Revolution (1836), the Mexican War (1846-1848), and were active in political life in the Republic and State of Texas.
In 1837 when the town incorporated, the name was changed to “Bastrop” to honor the Baron de Bastrop, influential early land agent and statesman. The city was also designated county seat in 1837.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9151.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence. In addition, it is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1691.
Location. 30° 6.641′ N, 97° 17.613′ W. Marker is in Bastrop, Texas, in Bastrop County. Marker is at the intersection of Loop State Highway 150 and Park Road 1, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 150. Located at the entrance to Bastrop State Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Park Road 1A, Bastrop TX 78602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lost Pines of Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); The Gotier Trace (within shouting distance of this marker); Bastrop County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Felipe Entrique Neri, Baron De Bastrop (approx. 0.6 miles away); War Babies (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fairview CemeteryThomas H. Mays (approx. 1.3 miles away); Home Town of Texas Confederate Major Joseph D. Sayers (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bastrop.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2014, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 593 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 10, 2014, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. 3. submitted on April 22, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.