Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Intersection of Washington and South Wall Streets
A Spaniard, Manuel Texada, built the house called Texada (“te-HA-da”) about 1798. The first brick building in Natchez, it was both a family home and a source of rental income as a tavern, hotel, and dancing academy. From 1817 to 1821, Natchez was the capital of the new state of Mississippi, and Texada served as the first capitol building.
Texada hosted many forms of entertainment and exhibitions, including a profile artist in 1809, an elephant in 1810, and Mr. Barington's Wax Museum in 1818.
Texada's distinctive roof shape identifies the house in a detail of John James Audubon's 1822-23 landscape of Natchez.
The Griffith-McComas House was originally a one-story house built in the early 1790s. About 1830, the house was raised to make a new first story below. Unlike the earlier upper story, the later lower story displays a more classical symmetry of doors and windows. This photograph also shows an even
Judge Edward Turner, one of the most influential politicians of the Mississippi territory and early statehood, bought Holly Hedges in 1818. The fanlight (arched window above the door) is typical of the Federal style. Turner later deeded the house to his daughter and son-in-law, Mary Louisa and John McMurran. They lived at Holly Hedges until completion of their Melrose estate in the 1840s.
Edward Templeman built Greenlea (behind you) in 1853, but died before moving into the house. It is a classic example of Greek Revival-style architecture. The garden layout in front of the house is typical of the pre-Civil War period.
Erected by City of Natchez, Mississippi.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Colonial Era • Entertainment • Hispanic Americans • Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi - Natchez Trails series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1798.
Location. 31° 33.545′ N, 91° 24.356′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington StreetTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 South Wall Street, Natchez MS 39120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Texada (within shouting distance of this marker); Intersection of State and South Wall streets (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The William Johnson House (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named William Johnson House (about 400 feet away); Intersection of Washington and South Pearl streets (about 400 feet away); Adams County Confederate Memorial (about 400 feet away); Intersection of State and South Canal streets (about 500 feet away); Intersection of State and South Pearl streets (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 356 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.