Trenton in Edgefield County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Horns Creek Baptist Church / Revolutionary Skirmish at Horns Creek
at Horns Creek
Erected 1974 by Edgefield County Historical Society and Edgefield County Council. (Marker Number 19-6.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1775.
Location. 33° 43.283′ N, 81° 56.183′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton SC 29847, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Horn's Creek Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Darby (approx. 3.8 miles away); Benjamin Ryan Tillman (approx. 4.1 miles away); John Gary Evans (approx. 4.1 miles away); John Calhoun Sheppard (approx. 4.2 miles away); James Strom Thurmond (approx. 4.3 miles away); Milledge Luke Bonham (approx. 4.3 miles away); Richard Tutt House / Tutt Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Francis Wilkinson Pickens (approx. 4.3 miles away); James Henry Hammond (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
Regarding Horns Creek Baptist Church / Revolutionary Skirmish at Horns Creek. Despite its run-down condition, the interior ceiling paintings are in remarkably good shape and do not seem to be fading with age. Some have reported that as the church decays, the paintings grow more vivid. This has led to the suspicion that supernatural powers at work in the church. Local legend says that a mother and her daughter died in a carriage accident on a local bridge. (Incidentally, this bridge is one of the many in South
Also see . . .
1. Horns Creek Baptist Church. One of the oldest Baptist churches in the South Carolina Upcountry, Horn Creek was incorporated in 1790. (Submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. 225 years ago today - Horn Creek, South Carolina. After the action at Beattie’s Mill, General Pickens began to systematically reduce Loyalist strongholds and gather forces. (Submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Horn's Creek Baptist Church. Ghost Hunting Investigation that we did last summer 2006. The location is the Horn's Creek Baptist Church in Edgefield, SC. (Submitted on January 1, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Elijah Clark Memorial State Park. Scroll to the bottom for photo of the Marshall Monument, erected in honor of Daniel Marshall. (Submitted on August 6, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Horn Creek Baptist Church
Horn Creek Baptist Church, incorporated in 1790, a simple one-roomed country church, has no electricity and remains essentially unchanged. Supported by fieldstone foundation piers, the church has wooden steps; two front door hinged to fold in center; wide board floors and louver shutters. Door
One of oldest Baptist churches in South Carolina up country, Horn Creek was incorporated in 1790. One of few remaining meeting house style churches reflecting austere simplicity and manifesting frugality of early settlers. Revolutionary activity in the Horn Creek area included 1781 skirmish in which Patriots, Captain Thomas Kee of Colonel Leroy Hammond’s regiment, attacked Tory party under Captain Clark. Clark was killed, and entire company made prisoners. Church burial ground has 18th century graves in fair condition. Plot fencing very from ornate iron work to old wooden pickets. (Source: National Register nomination form.)
— Submitted August 6, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
2. Early Back-Country Churches: Horns Creek Church
Horns Creek Church, located about five miles south of the town of Edgefield and said to have been constituted about 1768, was probably a branch of Stephens Creek Church, though the history of its early years
"Hezekiah Walker, John Frasier, and Samuel Walker with several other members...did their petition" ask and obtain incorporation by act of January 20, 1790, naming "The Baptist Church on Horns Creek in Edgefield County, in the State of South Carolina." John Bolger, a candidate for the ministry in 1792, soon left them.
Horns Creek asked dismissal from Georgia Association in 1801 to enter the Bethel Association in the next years. The important men in the congregation in 1802 were Samuel March and John Landrum, both of whom were ministers in 1803. This was a large and active church.
A second Horns Creek Church appears to have existed in 1790, which may have been a branch of Horns Creek. though more probably of Stephens Creek. Nothing is known of its location or history beyond the fact that Benjamin Harry was minister and the membership varied from twenty to twenty-five between 1790
— Submitted January 1, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 20, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 5,515 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 20, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7. submitted on January 2, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.