Ulster Park in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Esopus Meadows Lighthouse
This Park was created by Scenic Hudson, a Poughkeepsie non-profit environmental group dedicated to the preservation and enhancement of the Hudson River. The park was made possible through creative cooperation with the Town of Esopus, The Esopus Lighthouse Conservancy, and with the generous assistance of The Lila Acheson and DeWitt Wallace Fund for the Hudson Highlands, Hudson River Improvement Fund and Countryside Magazine.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Landmarks • Parks & Recreational Areas • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 41° 52.127′ N, 73° 57.085′ W. Marker is in Ulster Park, New York, in Ulster County. Marker is on River Road (County Route 24) 1.4 miles east of Broadway (U.S. 9W), on the right when traveling east. Marker is located Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 255 River Road, Ulster Park NY 12487, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Down by the River (approx. 1.6 miles away); Wilderstein's Boathouse (approx. 1.7 miles away); Wilderstein (approx. 1.9 miles away); Sojourner Truth (approx. 2½ miles away); The Delaware and Hudson Canal (approx. 3.8 miles away); Louis Caterino (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Rondout Creek Suspension Bridge (approx. 3.8 miles away); Island Dock (approx. 3.8 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker is a large painted metal plaque, mounted at eye-level in a heavy-duty wooden kiosk.
Also see . . .
1. Esopus Meadows Lighthouse History. The Esopus Meadows Lighthouse, fondly nicknamed "The Maid of the Meadows", was completed in 1871. It replaced an earlier structure built in 1839 on land ceded to the United States Government from the state of New York. The lighthouse was needed on the Hudson River to warn mariners of the mud flats known as the Esopus Meadows located off the western shore of the river. The light tower extends above the living quarters with an octagonal deck housing the light. Situated 53 feet above the mean water line, the lantern room previously contained an optic fifth-order Fresnel lens providing a 270 degree arc of light that was visible for 12 nautical miles. The lighthouse was tended by resident keeper until 1965 when it was converted to an automatic solar (Submitted on December 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. National Register of Historic Places Nomination #79001638 (1979). (Submitted on December 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Esopus Meadows Lighthouse. The current lighthouse was completed in 1871 and is the last wooden lighthouse in existence on the Hudson and the only Hudson lighthouse with a clapboard exterior. It was lit in 1872. One of a group of lighthouses in the Northeast built to an award-winning design by a Vermont architect, Albert Dow, Esopus Meadows Light has sister lights at Rose Island Light, Sabin Point, Pomham Rocks, and Colchester Reef. Esopus Meadows Light was closed in 1965 and by the 1990s it had fallen into a state of disrepair. The most serious problem was the deterioration of the foundation, which had begun to fall apart due to ice damage. (Submitted on December 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 29, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.