Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Conowingo in Cecil County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Bald Friar Ford & Ferry

 
 
Bald Friar Ford & Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, July 21, 2007
1. Bald Friar Ford & Ferry Marker
The ford is now at the bottom of Conowingo Lake following the construction of Conowingo Dam in the 1920's.
Inscription.  Near Pilot, two and one-half miles northwest of this point, lies the site of a Susquehanna fording used by Indians before the coming of the white man. By 1695, a barge provided ferry service to the colonists. The Conowingo Lake now covers the site.

On April 12, 1781, Lafayette moved his troops south by way of this ford, followed by Rochambeau’s Artillery and baggage detachments on September 10 of the same year.
 
Erected by Bald Friar Bicentennial Community.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraNative AmericansWar, US RevolutionaryWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the The Washington-Rochambeau Route series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1900.
 
Location. 39° 41.949′ N, 76° 10.442′ W. Marker is near Conowingo, Maryland, in Cecil County. Marker is at the intersection of Rock Springs Road (U.S. 222) and Old Conowingo Road, on the left when traveling north on Rock Springs Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Conowingo MD 21918, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Patrick's Chapel (approx. 1.9 miles away); A Susquehannock Indian Fort (approx. 2.7 miles away); Conowingo (approx. 3.1 miles away); Berkley Crossroads (approx. 3.2 miles away); Susquehanna River fishing (approx. 3.3 miles away); Lafayette at Colonel Rigbie’s House (approx. 3.3 miles away); Richards Oak (approx. 3½ miles away); The Proprietors of the Susquehanna Canal (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Conowingo.
 
Conowingo Dam image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, July 1, 2007
2. Conowingo Dam
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 3,356 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on December 29, 2018, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=127912

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024