Delaware in Delaware County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Delaware County: Anti-Slavery Stronghold / The Underground Railroad
Historic Underground Railroad
Among the Delaware County congregations participating in the Underground Railroad were Berlin United Presbyterian, Wesleyan Methodist, Alum Creek, Friends and Otterbein's United Brethren.
Manumitted slaves who settled the hamlet of Africa, at the intersection of present day Polaris parkway and Africa Road in southeastern Delaware County, and those who came to the area with early white settlers, John McClure and Benjamin Bartholomew, had a fierce hatred of bondage, they helped escaping slaves whenever possible. Bartholomew and his son, Major Bartholomew, operated a station near the Olentangy River in southern Liberty Township.
Sometimes more than one member of a family participated in the Underground Railroad. Northern Delaware County resident, William Cratty, epitomized local
Other local Delaware stations were Halfway House, George Gooding's tavern on State Route 23, and Seven Oaks on William Street.
Ohio's history has been permanently shaped by the thousands of runaway slaves passing through or finding permanent residence in this state.
Erected by Ohio Department of Transportation, Friends of Freedom Society, and Ohio Underground Railroad Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work • Civil Rights. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 40° 17.917′ N, 83° 3.756′ W. Marker is in Delaware, Ohio, in Delaware County. Marker is at the intersection of William Street and Columbus Pike (U.S. 23), on the right when traveling west on William Street. Marker is across William Street from northbound US 23 William Street Exit ramp. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Delaware OH 43015, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The March 1913 Flood (within shouting distance of this marker); Patrick J. Foley Memorial Bridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of the First Ohio State Football Game (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1897 Memorial Tree (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Harrison Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Sulphur Spring (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rutherford B. Hayes Birthplace (approx. ¼ mile away); Cherry, Judge, Luckett Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delaware.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 22, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 5,868 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 22, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.