Near Cardwell in Jefferson County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
Nearly ninety years later, in 1928, Shadan “Dan” LaHood built a hotel, gas station, and auto camp here to take advantage of tourist traffic on the newly opened highway through the Jefferson River Canyon. Five years after building the hotel, he added several motel units and a roadside cafe to his operation. A tireless supporter of President Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal relief programs, LaHood donated the land adjacent to the hotel for a Civilian Conservation Corps camp in the 1930s. The boys based at the CCC camp improved access to and within Lewis and Clark Caverns, making it one
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Native Americans • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is August 1840.
Location. 45° 51.194′ N, 111° 55.32′ W. Marker is near Cardwell, Montana, in Jefferson County. Marker is on State Highway 2 3˝ miles south of Interstate 90, on the left when traveling south. Marker is located in a pull-out and parking area on the east side of the highway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 960 Montana Highway 2, Cardwell MT 59721, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lewis & Clark Expedition (here, next to this marker); Bighorns no More? (approx. 2.8 miles away); Lean Times Ahead (approx. 2.8 miles away); Lewis and Clark Caverns Entrance Building (approx. 4 miles away).
More about this marker. This is a large, painted wooden "billboard-style" marker, hanging from a heavy-duty wooden frame.
Also see . . . From Private Tourism to National Monument to State Park. Shadan Lahood, a Cardwell merchant and land owner, was very interested in the development of the caverns. It was through his efforts and offer of property that a Civilian Conservation Corps camp was established in the area and dedicated to furthering the development of the caverns. From the summer of 1935 until the summer of 1941 there were 175 to 200 young men working in or around the cave. (Submitted on January 7, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 7, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 7, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.