Carrollton in Carroll County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Charles Carroll of Carrollton
Carroll County, created by an act of the Georgia legislature in December, 1826, proudly bears the name of Charles Carroll, of Carrollton.
Charles Carroll was born in Annapolis, Maryland, in 1737. He attended preparatory schools in this country but completed his education in France and England. At the age of 28 he returned home to settle down and his father gave him a large estate near Frederick, Md., known as Carrollton Manor. From then on he became known as 'Charles Carroll of Carrollton.' Although extremely wealthy and risking the loss of all his property, Charles Carroll boldly threw himself into Revolutionary activities. He served in the Continental Congress in 1776-78, and soon after his election was appointed by the Congress along with Benjamin Franklin and Samuel Chase to unsuccessfully seek Canadian support for the Continental cause. He became one of Maryland's first United States Senators serving from 1789 through 1792.
Charles Carroll played an important part in early railroad and canal building in the United States and laid the cornerstone of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in 1828, at the age of ninety one.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 022-1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1826.
Location. 33° 34.782′ N, 85° 4.342′ W. Marker is in Carrollton, Georgia, in Carroll County. Marker is at the intersection of Newnan Street (Georgia Route 166) and Dixie Street, on the right when traveling east on Newnan Street. Marker is located on the lawn of the Carroll County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carrollton GA 30117, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Six Industrial Giants (within shouting distance of this marker); Dixie Street (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carrollton (approx. 0.2 miles away); First “REA” Substation in Carroll County (approx. 2.3 miles away); Sacred Harp Singing (approx. 8˝ miles away); Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks (approx. 10.7 miles Whatley Memorial Historic Park (approx. 11.2 miles away); Site of Bowdon College (approx. 11.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carrollton.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. A marker identifying where Charles Carroll assumed the title “Charles Carroll of Carrollton.”
Credits. This page was last revised on August 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 23, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,178 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 23, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on August 24, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 4. submitted on September 7, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.