Near Remington in Fauquier County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
(3.6 Mi. S.E. of Remington, Va.)
This land was originally patented with adjoining lands, by one Allen in the middle 17th century. The frame home, which he built on the center field, was destroyed by fire. Captain James Payne, of the War of 1812, bouth the land after his marriage in 1815 to Mary Isham Randolph Keith, daughter of Captain Thomas Keith of the Revolutionary War, and granddaughter of "Parson" James Keith and Mary Isham Randolph of "Tuckahoe." Captain Payne then built the present house. It was finished in 1832 and is so dated on one of the large stones near the top of the house by Hannibal, the head slave in charge of a group of artisan slaves trained in building, who belonged to the Skinker family. The work must have taken several years. The signature reads "Han 1832" as he was unable to spell his full name. These same slaves also built the stone church at Goldvein near here, which was finished in 1833. The barn structure is also original but the barn has been resheathed. The slaves cabins
The house walls are of local granite. They are 3' 4" thick at the base, tapering to 2' 8" at the top. Mantles and floors are of hearty pine and black walnut cut and carved here.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
Location. 38° 29.911′ N, 77° 46.596′ W. Marker is near Remington, Virginia, in Fauquier County. Marker is on Sumerduck Road (County Route 651), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Remington VA 22734, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Major John Pelham, C.S.A. (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Battle of Kelly's Ford (approx. 1½ miles away); Kelly’s Ford (approx. 1½ miles away); The Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 1½ miles away); a different marker also named Kelly's Ford (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Kelly’s Ford (approx. 2 miles away); a different Battle of Kelly's Ford (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Kelly's Ford (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Remington.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 23, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,828 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 23, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.