Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Creation of Temple Hall Farm Regional Park

 
 
The Creation of Temple Hall Farm Regional Park Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, October 12, 2008
1. The Creation of Temple Hall Farm Regional Park Marker
Inscription.  
In 1940, after a succession of owners, the property was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. James H. Symington. The Symingtons set about restoring the house and making improvements to the farm.

The Symingtons succeed in restoring the mansion house, making extensive renovations and modernizing the home by adding indoor plumbing and electricity. They planted a variety of crops, eventually specializing in popcorn and becomeing for a time one of the largest suppliers in the eastern United States. When the popcorn market collapsed after World War II, however, they turned increasingly to raising livestock, including cattle and hogs, as well as wheat, corn and hay for animal feed. Mrs. Symington took over the management of the day-to-day farm operations after her husband became ill in the 1970s, and continued to run it after his death. Concerned about th e rapid development that was beginning to spread into Loudoun County. Mrs. Symington donated the 286-acre farm to the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority (NVRPA) in 1985. Since that time, the NVRPA has operated Temple Hall as a working farm and interpretive center, educating visitors about farm
Interpretive Markers at Temple Hall Farm Park image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain
2. Interpretive Markers at Temple Hall Farm Park
Click or scan to see
this page online
life while preserving the farm as a rural, agricultural landscape.
 
Erected by Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Agriculture. In addition, it is included in the NOVA Parks series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1940.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 39° 10.741′ N, 77° 31.712′ W. Marker was near Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker was on Temple Hall Lane, 0.1 miles north of Limestone School Road (County Route 661), on the left when traveling north. Located in the Temple Hall Farm Regional Park. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Leesburg VA 20176, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. This Is Temple Hall! (within shouting distance of this marker); Conditions of the Enslaved at Temple Hall Farm (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Temple Hall Farm Regional Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Enslaved Workers at Temple Hall Farm (within shouting distance of this marker); The Kincaid Farm Barns (within shouting distance of this marker); 1862 Antietam Campaign (approx. 1.7 miles away in Maryland);
One of the Barns at Temple Hill Farm image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, October 12, 2008
3. One of the Barns at Temple Hill Farm
White’s Ferry (approx. 1.7 miles away in Maryland); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 1.7 miles away in Maryland). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leesburg.
 
Also see . . .  Temple Hall Farm Park. Nova Parks website entry (Submitted on October 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,011 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=12955

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 16, 2022