Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Smyrna in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Union Cemetery

 
 
Union Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, March 1, 2019
1. Union Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  The name Union Cemetery is derived from the fact that this burial site was created to inter deceased members affiliated with the African-American houses of worship in this area. Originally owned by James and Hester Till, the land for the cemetery was purchased on April 8, 1904 for $250.00 by Anna M. Johnson, Florence Whaley, Sarah A. Memsley, Rebecca Viney, Mary E. York, and Mary E. Bedford. All of the women who purchased the land resided in Smyrna. Because of the racial segregation of cemeteries during the time period, it is believed that the Tills (residents of both Smyrna and Philadelphia) sold the land to secure a place in the Smyrna area where African-Americans would have a place to be buried. Until the late 1960s and early 1970s, families of the deceased buried in Union Cemetery would gather here on Memorial Day for a ceremony to remember their loved ones. While the cemetery fell into disrepair during the late 20th century, the local St. John's Masonic Lodge No.7, Prince Hall Affiliated took over the care and maintenance of the cemetery in 2010. Union Cemetery continues to serve in the 21st century as a burial site for the Smyrna community.
Union Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, March 1, 2019
2. Union Cemetery Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online

 
Erected 2012 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-113.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansCemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionWomen. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 8, 1904.
 
Location. 39° 18.135′ N, 75° 36.114′ W. Marker is in Smyrna, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is on Monrovia Avenue south of East Commerce Street (Delaware Route 6), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 27 Monrovia Avenue, Smyrna DE 19977, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas D. Clayton School (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Commodore Jacob Jones (approx. 0.2 miles away); Smyrna Opera House and Old Town Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); The Barracks (approx. ¼ mile away); The Gray Box Chateau (approx. ¼ mile away); The Delaware House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Green Pottery (approx. 0.3 miles away); The John Cummins Mansion (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smyrna.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 3, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 1, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 1, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=130460

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 8, 2022