Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tybee Island in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fort Screven Bakery

Building #97

 
 
Fort Screven Bakery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 19, 2008
1. Fort Screven Bakery Marker
A separate building, the Bakery is located a short walking distance from Fort Screven proper.
Inscription.  Activated just prior to the Spanish-American War and inactivated at the close of World War II, Fort Screven served as a military post for almost 50 years. During that time, Fort Screven was a coast artillery installation, an infantry post, District F, IV Corps Headquarters of the Civilian Conservation Corps, and during World War II, the U.S. Army's only Engineering Diving and Salvage training school of its type in the continental United States.

Built c. 1925, the post bakery served the military reservation and residents on Tybee Island until 1945. The building was purchased by Dr. Sidney Paul Smith, III on June 23, 2000, and rehabilation was completed December 1, 2001. The restoration of this building is dedicated to the men and women who have served our country so valiantly.

The bakery is the first home in Georgia to be equipped with a solar energy system that is tied directly to the power grid. The meter for the home has duel readouts that monitor the amout of power that is sold back to the electric provider.

Owner: Dr. and Mrs. Sidney Paul Smith, III and Family
General Contractor: Grandy Thurman
[List
Fort Screven Bakery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Fort Screven Bakery Marker
The solar panel is visible on the roof, at left.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Sub-contractors names and Historians]

 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EnvironmentForts and CastlesIndustry & CommerceWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, World IWar, World II. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1885.
 
Location. 32° 1.208′ N, 80° 50.745′ W. Marker is in Tybee Island, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Meddin Avenue near Robinson Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tybee Island GA 31328, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Loss of the HMS Otranto October 1918 (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); H.M.S. Otranto and Fort Screven (about 700 feet away); Henry Sims Morgan (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Henry Sims Morgan (about 700 feet away); Tybee Island Wade-Ins (about 700 feet away); Tybee Island (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Tybee Island Wade-Ins (about 700 feet away); Fort Screven District (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tybee Island.
 
Regarding Fort Screven Bakery. In 1947 the Fort was closed and sold to the town of Tybee.
 
Fort Screven Bakery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Fort Screven Bakery
The meter for the home has dual readouts, as mentioned and seen here.
Fort Screven Bakery image. Click for full size.
July 26, 2008
4. Fort Screven Bakery
Building 97 circa 1989
has been placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places

by the United States
Department of the Interior
May 25, 1982
Fort Screven Battery Garland 1899 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, April 27, 2008
5. Fort Screven Battery Garland 1899
(Coordinates: 32.021476, -80.844194)
In 1961 Battery Garland, the former gun battery and magazine for a twelve-inch long-range gun, became the Tybee Museum. Rooms which once stored six-hundred pound projectiles and two-hundred pound bags of gunpowder now hold the collections and exhibits of over four-hundred years of Tybee Island.
Fort Screven Battery Brumby 1898 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, April 27, 2008
6. Fort Screven Battery Brumby 1898
(Coordinates, 32.022477, -80.84473)
Battery Brumby, erected by Venerable Construction Company C, 1897-1898, was the first six gun emplacement at Fort Screven.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 28, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,722 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 28, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   4. submitted on October 28, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   5, 6. submitted on October 28, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=13076

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 8, 2022