Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This excellent example of Spanish colonial style architecture was built in 1900 for Mrs. Herman S. Rock. Features include floor-length windows at the front façade, and parapets with a decorative brick cornice. Owned by the Gomez family since 1915.
This marker was placed at this site in 1993.
Erected 1993 by City of Brownsville.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Hispanic Americans • Man-Made Features.
Location. 25° 54.303′ N, 97° 30.233′ W. Marker is in Brownsville, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is on East Levee Street south of East 5th Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, directly in front of the subject Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 East Levee Street, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rock/Gomez House (here, next to this marker); Alonso Complex (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alonso Building (about 400 feet away); Russell/Cocke House (about 500 feet away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (about 500 feet away); Sacred Heart Church (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Sacred Heart Church (about 500 feet away); Southern Pacific Railroad Passenger Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
Regarding Rock-Gomez Residence. Marker is in the Brownsville Heritage Trail series.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 17, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 18, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.