Near Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Howell Cobb Plantation
Site of the large Baldwin County plantation of Howell Cobb, one of the 'Great Georgia Triumvirate' of Stephens, Toombs and Cobb, and his wife, the former Mary Ann Lamar. Born at Cherry Hill in Jefferson County, Georgia Sept. 7, 1815, he graduated cum laude from the University of Georgia in 1834, was admitted to the Bar in 1836, and then began the distinguished career that was to make him one of Georgia's most illustrious sons. Solicitor General, 1837; Member of Congress, 1842 (four terms); Speaker of the House, 1849; Governor of Georgia, 1851; returned to Congress, 1854; Secretary of the Treasury, 1857.
A Jacksonian Democrat, opposed to nullification and secession, his aid to the 'Constitutional Union' party, formed in Georgia by Stephens and Toombs (both Whigs) to support the Compromise of 1850, made him many enemies in the South; but despite his love for the Union, when Georgia seceded he bowed loyally to her choice and became a great leader in the Confederacy. He was President of the Secession Convention in 1861, Colonel of the 16th Georgia Volunteer Infantry, and Major General Confederate States Army.
On the night of
Erected 1993 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 005-17.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the Sherman’s March to the Sea series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is September 7, 1837.
Location. 33° 7.261′ N, 83° 23.075′ W. Marker is near Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Monticello Road NW and Nelson Road, on the right when traveling west on Old Monticello Road NW. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cobb's Quarter, Sherman's Campsite (here, next to this marker); Blountsville (approx. 5.7 miles away); a different marker also named Blountsville (approx. 5.7 miles away); The Baptist Church of Christ at Ramoth (approx. 6.8 miles away); Flannery O'Connor's Andalusia Farm (approx. 7 miles away); Junction of 20th and 14th Corps (approx. 7.1 miles away); Brown-Stetson-Sanford House (approx. 9.1 miles away); Route of the Twentieth Corps (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
Also see . . . Howell Cobb. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry (Submitted on October 31, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 30, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 3,859 times since then and 247 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 30, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on July 5, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?