Thurmont in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The town of Thurmont, established in 1751, Gateway to the Mountains, offering a wealth of scenery, wildlife, wildflowers, historic buildings, hiking trails, scenic drives, camping and fly-fishing for many hikers and bikers as they energetically explore Catoctin National Park. Cunningham Falls State Park, located west of Thurmont, named for a 78-foot cascading waterfall
Thurmont was named a "Main Street Maryland Community” in 2005 and continues to focus on the appearance, image and economy of our business district. We proudly serve as "home" to family-owned businesses, large corporations, schools, churches, great restaurants, civic organizations, historic as well as new housing, all surrounded by fertile agricultural areas and orchards filled with mouth-watering fruit.
Catoctin Furnace lron Works, is located approximately 3 miles south of Thurmont was built around a family owned iron making business created by James Johnson in 1774. James, a skilled ironmaster had several partners, including his brother Thomas, Maryland's first governor. The works produced various tools and household items such as stove plates for widely used heating and cooking stoves, fire backs, tools, weights and utensils. In the 1780's, the Continental Congress contracted the Iron Works to cast ten inch shells for use in the Revolutionary
With the birth of larger businesses and newer technologies, the "furnace" discontinued after 125 years but Catoctin Furnace remains, along with many of the original cottages that make up the "furnace" community. The Collier's Log House is unique and is a significant example of the simple dwellings occupied by hard-working furnace laborers, many of whom were enslaved African Americans and later European immigrants, who produced the iron ore and finished products used throughout the late 18th and 19th centuries in the United States. A self-guided tour can take you to the remaining furnace stack, the Ironmaster's Manor House ruins, the stone church built for the iron workers and the village of Catoctin Furnace.
Memorial Park is located across from the trolley substation on East Main Street. The citizens of Thurmont planned and erected this park in honor of those who fought and gave their lives in the great World War. The Memorial Park was dedicated in November 1922. Over the years, the park has served as a meeting place for various memorial services, concerts and other local events. This Memorial Park was deeded over to the Town of Thurmont and today it is administered as part of the town's park system. Since the dedication in 1922, the park has been rededicated to those who have served in every war since WWI. Marble plaques have been added bearing names of those citizens who have served in these wars. Memorial Park continues to be a significant reminder of Thurmont's history.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1922.
Location. 39° 37.374′ N, 77° 24.49′ W. Marker is in Thurmont, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on East Main Street (Maryland Route 77) east of Alley 5, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 East Main Street, Thurmont MD 21788, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thurmont Rail History — The End of an Era (here, next to this marker); Historic Buildings—Past and Present (a few steps from this marker); Thurmont Memorial Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Thurmont (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Thurmont (approx. 0.2 miles away); Creeger House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Brotherhood of the Jungle Cock (approx. ¼ mile away); To the Unknown Dead (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thurmont.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 180 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 6, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.