San Luis Potosí, Mexico — The Northeast (and Central Highlands)
Metropolitan Cathedral / Vicereine's Balcony
La Catedral de San Luis Potosí es un bello templo barroco de planta basilical con bóvedas y una torre de tres cuerpos con detalles en argamasa. Originalmente fue una sencilla ermita erigida en 1593 que creció hasta que en 1730 quedó constituida como templo parroquial. A mediados del siglo XIX se amplió y se construyeron los altares laterales. Fue elevada a obispado en 1854.
Hacia 1896 el Obispo Montes de Oca encargó una remodelación. Sustituyó el altar por una escultura de San Sebastián, copia de Tito Tadolini, y colocó en los pretiles el apostolado de cantería de la fachada princpal, sustituyéndolo por uno de mármol de Carrara, inspirado en el de Bernini de San Juan de Letrán en Roma. Para el centenario de la Independencia, Gerardo y Eduardo Meade donaron los recursos para la segunda torre, obra del maestro cantero Florentino Rico Quintana.
Balcón de la Virreina
Esta fue la casa del brigadier Félix María Calleja, Virrey de la Nueva España y de su esposa doña María Francisca de la Gándara.
El balcón de esta casa es uno de los balcones barrocos más bellos que
Las casas vecinas también presentan detalles arquitectónicos barrocos ricamente tallados y con motivos religiosos.
The Cathedral of San Luis Potosí is a beautiful baroque temple with a basilica plan, vaults and a three-body tower with mortar details. It stands where a simple chapel was erected in 1593, that grew until it was established in 1730 as the parish church. In the middle of the 19th century it was enlarged and the side alters were built. It was elevated to the Bishopric in 1854.
Around 1896, Bishop Montes de Oca ordered the main altar to be replaced with a sculpture of Saint Sebastian, a copy by Tito Tadolini, and the stone-worked apostolate of the main facade to be placed in the parapets and replaced with Carrara marble ones, inspired by those in St. John Lateran in Rome by Bernini. For the Independence Centennial, Gerardo and Eduardo Meade donated the resources for the second tower, a work by Master stonemason Florentino Rico Quintana.
This was the house of Brigadier Félix María Calleja, Viceroy of New Spain,
The balcony of the house is one of the most beautiful baroque balconies preserved in the city, composed of architecturally stone-worked elements in the shape of half of an orange, elaborately carved, as well as the sides of the doors decorated with sculpted human forms, and also with its beautiful ironwork.
The neighboring houses also show baroque architectural details that are elaborately carved with religious motifs.
Erected by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), Camino Real de Tierra Adentro.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1593.
Location. 22° 9.091′ N, 100° 58.569′ W. Marker is in San Luis Potosí. Marker is on Jardín Hidalgo just north of Manuel José Othón, on the left when traveling north. This area of central San Luis Potosí is mostly pedestrian-only. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Luis Potosí 78000, Mexico. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The San Luis Potosí Cathedral (within shouting distance of this marker); General Ignacio Zaragoza (within shouting distance of this marker); Royal Treasure / Monumental Palace (within shouting distance House of Don Félix María Calleja (within shouting distance of this marker); Arms Square / City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Municipal Palace (within shouting distance of this marker); Pitman House (within shouting distance of this marker); Government Palace / Vicereine’s House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Luis Potosí.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 9, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. 4. submitted on April 15, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.