Chickamauga in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Crittenden's Headquarters Shell Monument
21st Army Corps
21st Army Corps
Maj. Gen. Thomas L Crittenden,
Daylight, Sept. 19, 1863.
Erected 1893 by the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Commission. (Marker Number MT-469.)
Topics. This historical marker monument is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is September 19, 1863.
Location. 34° 53.003′ N, 85° 16.097′ W. Marker is in Chickamauga, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker is on Lee and Gordon Mill Circle, on the left when traveling north. According to the location information provided by the National Park Service the, “Monument is located south of Chickamauga Battlefield near Lee & Gordon's Mill”. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chickamauga GA 30707, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 3rd Georgia Cavalry (here, next to this marker); Lytle's Brigade (a few steps from this marker); 88th Illinois Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 36th Illinois Infantry (a few steps from this marker); Wood's Division (within 3rd Confederate Georgia Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); 2nd Georgia Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Lee and Gordon's Mill (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chickamauga.
More about this monument. This is a narrow road with no real good areas to pull over. Please be cautious.
According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “7'10" square at base and 5' high, the monument consists of a pyramid of cannonballs set in cement & painted black, resting on a molded limestone base. Attached to base is a painted metal plaque identifying the HQ site. Square base is made up of artillery shells: 7 wide by 7 deep. It is 7 layers tall. Only shell monument without concrete fill in gaps between shells.”
The National Park Service also identifies E. E. Betts as being the engineer who was the designer of this monument.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 1, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,122 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 1, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 10, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6. submitted on September 18, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.