Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Luis Potosí, Mexico — The Northeast (and Central Highlands)
 

Minor Basilica

Sanctuary of Our Lady of Guadalupe

 
 
Minor Basilica Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, March 17, 2019
1. Minor Basilica Marker
Inscription.  

Basílica Menor
Santuario de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe

La ciudad de San Luis Potosí siempre ha sido de tradición Guadalupana. Hacia 1656 existía una ermita dedicada a la Virgen de Guadalupe, cuyos muros aún se pueden observar en la parte trasera de la actual Basílica. En 1737 la ciudad juró a la Virgen como Patrona de Aguas, Minas y Comercio. En 1772 se comenzó a construir el Santuario a partir del diseño de Felipe Cleere, tesorero de la Real Caja, y se terminó en 1800.

Se dice que el Cura Don Miguel Hidalgo ofició misa aqui. En 1865 fue ocupado por los franceses como cuartel, y más tarde como bodega por el gobierno. En 1871 se rescató y se inició la restauración del altar, consagrándolo en 1903. Más tarde fue elevado al grado de Basílica Menor.

English translation:
Minor Basilica
Sanctuary of Our Lady of Guadalupe

The city of San Luis Potosí has always had a Guadalupana tradition. Around 1656 there was a hermitage dedicated to the Virgin of Guadalupe, whose walls can still be observed in the back of the current Basilica. In 1737 the city swore to the Virgin as the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Patron Saint of water, mines and commerce. In 1772 construction began on the Sanctuary beginning with the design of Felipe Cleere, treasurer of the Royal Ark, and was finished in 1800.

It is said that the priest, Miguel Hidalgo officiated mass here. In 1865 it was occupied by the French as a barracks, and later as a warehouse for the government. In 1871 it was rescued and restoration began on the altar, and was dedicated in 1903. Later it was elevated to the level of Minor Basilica.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraMan-Made FeaturesWars, Non-US. A significant historical year for this entry is 1656.
 
Location. 22° 8.2′ N, 100° 58.25′ W. Marker is in San Luis Potosí. Marker is at the intersection of Camino a Simón Díaz and Calle La Lonja, on the left when traveling north on Camino a Simón Díaz. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Luis Potosí 78000, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Miguel Hidalgo at the Basilica de Guadalupe (within shouting distance of this marker); Basilica of Guadalupe (within shouting distance of this marker); Francisco I. Madero (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); Lupe Vélez (approx. one kilometer away); Water Reservoir (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); San Miguelito Square
Minor Basilica and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, March 17, 2019
2. Minor Basilica and Marker
A portion of the marker can be seen here to the left.
(approx. 1.1 kilometers away); Guadalupe Road (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); The 100th Anniversary of Mexican Independence (approx. 1.2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Luis Potosí.
 
The original hermitage at the Minor Basilica image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, March 17, 2019
3. The original hermitage at the Minor Basilica
As the marker mentions, the original building on the site was a small hermitage. This older portion appears to be a small church where new construction has blocked the original entrance.
A view of the interior of the Minor Basilica image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, March 17, 2019
4. A view of the interior of the Minor Basilica
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 19, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=132481

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 23, 2024