Manassas, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Battle of Bull Run Bridge
— Second Manassas Campaign —
Meanwhile, about 6 a.m. on Aug. 27, Col. Gustav Waagner led the 2nd New York Heavy Artillery from nearby Bull Run to engage Jackson northeast of Liberia. Jackson quickly counterattacked and sent the New Yorkers retreating to Centreville. When Taylor’s command arrived about 8:30 as Waagner began withdrawing, Jackson’s men, entrenched here in a line between Liberia and Fort Mayfield, prepared to greet it with a “storm of lead.” The Federals advanced within 300 yards of Fort Beauregard, and Jackson rode forward waving a white handkerchief to suggest they surrender. When a Union
Built for William and Harriet Weir in 1825, Liberia served as Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard’s headquarters before and after the First Battle of Manassas in July 1861. Union Gen. Irvin McDowell had his headquarters here in March 1862.
Erected by Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list.
Location. 38° 46.11′ N, 77° 27.615′ W. Marker is in Manassas, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Breeden Avenue and Portner Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Breeden Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Manassas VA 20110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Manassas 1825 (approx. ¼ mile away); Conner House (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Bull Run Bridge (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mayfield Civil War Fort (approx. one mile away); Manassas (approx. one mile away); Manassas 1892 Mayfield Civil War Fort (approx. 1.1 miles away); Manassas 1890 - 1900s (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manassas.
Regarding Battle of Bull Run Bridge. Liberia House is currently undergoing restoration. The house is open for special events, school tours, group tours by appointment, and special behind the scenes restoration programs.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . .
1. Liberia Plantation House. (Submitted on December 17, 2006.)
2. Liberia House: Survivor of the War. Two-part article by Eileen Murphy. (Submitted on December 17, 2006.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 17, 2006. This page has been viewed 5,797 times since then and 119 times this year. Last updated on November 3, 2008. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 17, 2006. 4. submitted on September 10, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5. submitted on December 17, 2006. 6. submitted on March 31, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 7. submitted on November 3, 2008. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.