Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
CSS Georgia: The "Ladies' Gunboat"
of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum
2014.16 • 25-51
Erected 2014 by Georgia Historical Society, Savannah Chapter
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels • Women. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the United Daughters of the Confederacy series lists.
Location. 32° 4.866′ N, 81° 2.192′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker can be reached from Woodcock Street/Fort Jackson Road 1.2 miles north of East President Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located within Old Fort Jackson National Landmark, on the east side of the parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Fort Jackson Road, Savannah GA 31404, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Construction of Fort Jackson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Garrison of Fort Jackson (about 300 feet away); Republican Blues (about 300 feet away); The Napoleon 12-Pounder Field Gun Model 1857 (about 400 feet away); Colonials at Bonaventure (approx. 2˝ miles away); Fred Wessels, Senior (approx. 2.6 miles away); King Cotton (approx. 2.7 miles The History of Victor B. Jenkins Jr. Memorial Boys Club (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Also see . . .
1. CSS Georgia: The “Ladies’ Gunboat”. Georgia Historical Society link for this marker. (Submitted on April 30, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. CSS Georgia. CSS Georgia was constructed at Savannah, Georgia in 1862 which granted the boat her namesake. She was launched sometime in 1863 and commissioned the same year. She featured a running length of 250 feet with a beam of 60 feet and her facilities were managed by some 200 personnel - from engines to controls, ammunition and armament. Her armament consisted of between four and nine cannons in all. As with most ironclads of the period, she was powered by steam and made slow headway even in ideal conditions. (Submitted on April 30, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 30, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.