Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Knott House

 
 
The Knott House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 6, 2014
1. The Knott House Marker
Inscription.  Evidence points to George Proctor, a free black man, as the probable builder of this structure in 1843. The house was a wedding gift for Catherine Gamble, the bride of attorney Thomas Hagner. In 1865 the house was used as temporary Union Headquarters by Brigadier General Edward McCook. On May 20th, 1865, McCook read the Emancipation Proclamation from the front steps of the house, declaring freedom for all slaves in the Florida Panhandle.

After the Civil War a locally prominent physician, George Betton, bought the house, bringing with him a young buggy driver named William Gunn, a former slave. When Gunn expressed an interest in learning medicine, Betton funded his study at medical school and helped him establish a practice in Tallahassee. Gunn became Florida's first black physician.

In 1928 the Knott family acquired the house, had the front columns added, and lived here until 1985. William Knott served athe State of Florida for over forty years as its first State Tax Auditor, as Comptroller, and Treasurer. His wife Luella Knott was an artist, musician, and poet. She named her home "The House That Rhymes," and filled it with Victorian
The Knott House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 6, 2014
2. The Knott House
era furnishings. Almost every piece is adorned with a poem narrating history and moral lessons, written with charm and wit. Luella was also a political activist. The sale of alcohol was banned in the state's capital for over fifty years, in part because of Mrs. Knott's involvement with the temperance movement.
 
Erected 1998 by Florida Heritage Landmark sponsored by the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-392.)
 
Location. Marker has been reported permanently removed. It was located near 30° 26.508′ N, 84° 16.759′ W. Marker was in Tallahassee, Florida, in Leon County. Marker was at the intersection of E. Park Avenue and S. Calhoun Street on E. Park Avenue. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Tallahassee FL 32301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named The Knott House (here, next to this marker); Leon County's American Revolutionary War Soldiers (within shouting distance of this marker); Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Exchange Bank Building (about 600 feet away); Lewis Bank (about 800 feet away); Leon County (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Gilmore Riley House
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Florida Sri Chinmoy Peace State (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallahassee.
 
Categories. African AmericansArts, Letters, MusicScience & MedicineWar, US Civil
 

More. Search the internet for The Knott House.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 7, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 17, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 434 times since then and 49 times this year. Last updated on May 5, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 17, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement