Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Centenary Reformed Church
of The Reformed Church in the United States
The erection of the first house of worship was begun in 1753 upon two city lots conveyed by Lord Fairfax to the trustees of the congregation; Daniel Bush, Philp Bush, Henry Brinker, Jacob Sowers and Frederick Conrad.
The congregation was reorganized and a new church built by the Classis of Virginia in 1841.
This church was used during the latter part of the Civil War by the Federal forces for hospital purposes. The present building was erected in 1905 and remodeled and enlarged in 1920.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1748.
Location. 39° 10.895′ N, 78° 9.885′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia. Marker is on South Cameron Street (U.S. 50) south of East Cork Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject church, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 South Cameron Street, Winchester VA 22601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early 19th Century Stone Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Madison S. Briscoe (about 400 feet away); Hill's Keep (about 500 feet away); Photos of Old Town Winchester (about 500 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Cannon Ball House (about 600 feet away); The Godfrey Miller Home (about 700 feet away); James R. Wilkins, Sr. (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
Also see . . .
1. Centenary Reformed United Church of Christ. Centenary was the first church built in Winchester, about 1749, and served by Missionary Ministers. In 1842 the German Reformed Church was built in the present location, the corner of Cameron and Cork Streets, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Reformed Church in the Shenandoah Valley. This church was so badly burned from use by union soldiers that it was necessary to rebuild. The present structure was dedicated August 4, 1906. (Submitted on May 24, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Centenary Reformed Church History. By 1804 the Reformed congregation was no more than a handful and plans were just starting to build a new (Submitted on May 24, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 24, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.