Oconto in Oconto County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Mission of St. Francois Xavier
Erected 1958 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 78.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Native Americans. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1777.
Location. 44° 53.498′ N, 87° 53.047′ W. Marker is in Oconto, Wisconsin, in Oconto County. Marker is on Brazeau Avenue (U.S. 41) 0.1 miles south of Charles Street (State Highway 22), on the left when traveling north. Marker is next to the Oconto River. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oconto WI 54153, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one First Church of Christ, Scientist (approx. 0.3 miles away); Farnsworth Public Library (approx. 0.6 miles away); Oconto Site (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Copper Culture Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); Nicholas Perrot (approx. ¾ mile away); Oconto County Veteran's Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); George Beyer Home (approx. 0.9 miles away); Stanley Toy Company (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oconto.
Also see . . . Wikipedia Entry. “From 1667 through 1669 Allouez made a missionary tour of the western missions. He served as a missionary to the Potawatomi Indians in Wisconsin. The next year he was with the Mesquakie, establishing St. Mark’s Mission, and founding the mission of St. James among the Miami and Mascouten Indians, finally returning to Green Bay later that year. He said the first Mass in Oconto, Wisconsin. In 1671, in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, he was a principal speaker at the ceremony that formally declared the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River valley as territory of the King of France.” (Submitted on August 19, 2012.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 9, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,344 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 9, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 2, 3. submitted on August 7, 2012, by Melinda Roberts of De Pere, United States. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.