St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Keepers of the Light
The Lighthouse and Keeper's Dwelling Today
The lighthouse tower is of brick construction. Cylindrical in shape, it has a 129-step cast-iron spiral staircase. The foundation is 8' below ground, 30' in diameter, and 3' thick. In 1890, the fireproof oil house was constructed. The oil house was designed to hold 450 5-gallon containers of kerosene to light the lamp in the lantern room. Later, large oil drums were installed in the oil house to contain the fuel.
The Keepers Life
Several lighthouse keepers, such as C.O. Svendsen (to your left), and their assistants did duty at this station. Often, the keeper's wife served as his assistant keeper. The lighthouse was completely automated in 1953.
The pay was $400 to $600 per year in the 19th Century. The highly prized position required the Keeper to be able to read and write, and sons often followed fathers and grandfathers footsteps into the United States Lighthouse Service.
Erected by Coastal Georgia Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
Location. 31° 8.026′ N, 81° 23.603′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on 12th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 12th Street, Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to St. Simons Light! (a few steps from this marker); Couper's Point (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Lighthouse ~ 1810 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Historic St. Simons Light StationEarly History of St. Simons Island (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort St. Simons (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic St. Simons Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort St. Simons (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,345 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on November 11, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 10. submitted on July 29, 2017, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.