Catonsville in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Baltimore National Cemetery
National Register of Historic Places
has been listed in the
U.S. Department of the Interior
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the National Cemeteries, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series lists.
Location. 39° 16.708′ N, 76° 42.542′ W. Marker is in Catonsville, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is at the intersection of Frederick Avenue (State Highway 144) and Mallow Hill Road, on the right when traveling east on Frederick Avenue. Marker is mounted at eye-level on the left-side of the cemetery entrance gate. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5501 Frederick Avenue, Catonsville MD 21228, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Address by President Lincoln (approx. 0.2 miles away); World War II Marine Divisions Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); 6-Mile Marker on the National RoadIrvington (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Salem Church and Graveyard (approx. 1.3 miles away); In Memory of Mary Young Pickersgill (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Citizens of Irvington (approx. 1.3 miles away); Catonsville Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Catonsville.
Regarding Baltimore National Cemetery. National Register of Historic Places #16000059
Also see . . . Baltimore National Cemetery (Wikipedia). When nearby Loudon Park National Cemetery was deemed full, the War Department surveyed this area for a new site. In 1936 the federal government took possession of the land for a cost of $95,000, and began converting the former "Cloud Capped" estate. The old mansion was demolished, fences were put up, roads were constructed, and landscaping was done as part of a Works Progress Administration project to invest in infrastructure during the Great Depression. The first interment took place on December 22, 1936, but the cemetery was not formally dedicated until May 30, 1941. (Submitted on June 10, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 77 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 10, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.