Bridgetown, Saint Michael, Barbados
The Main Guard
The Main Guard
Built in 1804
Still known today as The Main Guard
At the central point of the Garrison, this building was also used for courts martial, with prisoners held in the guard house at rear. Sold into private hands in 1906, it became the private Savannah Club until its purchase by the Government in 1989.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts and Castles • Man-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1804.
Location. 13° 4.815′ N, 59° 36.409′ W. Marker is in Bridgetown, Saint Michael. Marker is on Garrison Road just north of Hastings Main Road (Route H7), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bridgetown, Saint Michael BB14038, Barbados. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Royal Artillery Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Monument to Those Lost in the 1831 Hurricane (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Barbados Independence Monument (about 150 meters away); Engineer’s Office & Quarters (about 150 meters away); Commissariat for the British CommissionCommonwealth War Graves (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Barbados Military Cemetery (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Errol Walton Barrow (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bridgetown.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 87 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 8, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.