Kingston, Saint George, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Kingston Methodist Church
Welcome to the Kingstown Methodist Church
Methodism officially came to St. Vincent on the 9th of January, 1787, when British missionaries Rev. Thomas Coke, Rev. John Coke, William Warrener and William Hammet landed at the Kingstown Harbour. In 1790, an unused Roman Catholic Church situated on the present site was purchased and services were held in it. By 1793, Methodism had a great effect on the lives of enslaved Africans. In that year, Rev. Matthew Lumb was imprisoned for breaking the law which forbade missionaries to preach to slaves.
The Church Building
The present church, which was built by freed slaves, was first dedicated on the 1st August, 1841 by Rev. John Cullingford. Memorial plaques, including one for him can be found on the interior walls. Following the 1898 hurricane, repairs were done to the damaged roof and windows. Extensive restorative work was done in 2006 and the church was rededicated on 28th October, 2007 by the Superintendent and President of the District, Rev. Victor H. Job. A bell hangs from the 1907 belfry erected adjacent to the church’s cemetery.
We hope you have an enjoyable and
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features.
Location. 13° 9.397′ N, 61° 13.696′ W. Marker is in Kingston, Saint George. Marker is at the intersection of Grenville Street and Higgenson Street, on the right when traveling east on Grenville Street. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 18 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Vincent World War I Monument (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Kingstown Old Public Library (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Fort Charlotte (approx. 1.3 kilometers away); King Jugbo-Jugbo Fem (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Welcome to Fort Charlotte (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); Byera Tunnel (approx. 16.3 kilometers away in Charlotte).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 11, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 11, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.