Santa Barbara Mission Lavanderia
This clothes washing basin or lavanderia was built by the Chumash Indians of Santa Barbara Mission village in 1808. Not all missions built such a structure. The Chumash particularly valued cleanliness and worked to construct this lavanderia fed by water from the complex aqueduct system. The only other colonial lavanderia, which survives intact, is at Mission San Luis Rey near Oceanside. Note the finely carved mountain lion's head forming the south spout, which was carved by a Chumash artisan and may be the oldest public sculpture in California. (The Bear's head on the north end is a modern replica.)
Please treat this historic structure with respect as the achievement of the Chumash people who lived and worked here in Mission time.
Landscaping around this lavanderia features native and colonial period plant varieties. Along the west (driveway) side from the north (fountain) end to the south various historic rose varieties are found interspersed with mission period cacti and perennials). The roses are from the north end, the native Rosa Californica, then the colonial import, Rose of Castile propagated from historic stock found at Mission San Antonio. Farther south is the "Kinevan Rose” from the stagecoach stop on San Marco Pass, a mid-nineteenth century variety from a ranch that gathered its orchard cuttings from Santa Barbara
At the Southwest fence corner is a Mission grape variety collected from Mission
San Jose. Starting at the top (north) of the east fence plantings include the native
"Rogers Red” grape and a selection of imported colonial period grapes collected
from various and Mission and rancho sites (Mission San Jose, San Gabriel, La
Purisima and various Santa Barbara County ranchos). The Chumash's success in
cultivating these grapes originated the wine industry in Santa Barbara County.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Native Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1808.
Location. 34° 26.264′ N, 119° 42.78′ W. Marker is in Santa Barbara, California, in Santa Barbara County. Marker is at the intersection of Laguna Street and E. Los Olivos Street, on the right when traveling north on Laguna Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2201 Laguna Street, Santa Barbara CA 93105, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Moorish Fountain and Indian Community Laundry (within shouting distance of this marker); Don Jose Francisco De Ortega (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Juana Maria (about 300 feet away); Santa Barbara Mission Early Water Supply (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mission Historical Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Stagecoach Route (approx. one mile away); President Reagan Meets Queen Elizabeth II
Additional keywords. landscape architecture
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 388 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 13, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.