The Underground Railroad
At Omar Inn and Omar Chapel of Seneca County
The Underground Railroad was neither underground nor a railroad, but a system of loosely connected safe havens where those escaping the brutal conditions of slavery were sheltered, fed, clothed, nursed, concealed, disguised, and instructed during their journey to freedom. Although this movement was one of America's greatest social, moral, and humanitarian endeavors, the details about it were often cloaked in secrecy to protect those involved from the retribution of civil law and slave-catchers. Ohio's history has been permanently shaped by the thousands of runaway slaves passing through or finding permanent residence in this state.
The Omar Inn, which once stood about 0.2 miles south of this site on the east side of present- day State Route 4, was an Underground Railroad station. Runaway slaves were hidden in the livery stable there until they could be safely transported to Seven Mile House, located just south of Sandusky. The Omar Inn was established by Thomas Bennitt around 1830 and was later managed by the Reed Gambee families. Bennett provided parcels of his farmland for the Omar Chapel and Cemetery in 1842
Erected 2004 by ODOT Friends of Freedom Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RR • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion.
Location. 41° 7.11′ N, 82° 51.75′ W. Marker is in Attica, Ohio, in Seneca County. Marker is at the intersection of Columbus - Sandusky Pike (Ohio Route 4) and Scottwood Road (County Route 9), on the right when traveling south on Columbus - Sandusky Pike. marker is in Omar Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 408 S St Rt 4, Attica OH 44807, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Omar Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); A Nurse’s Sacrifice in the Great War (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Western Reserve (approx. 6.6 miles away); Henry Morrison Flagler (approx. 10.6 miles away); The Tremont House (approx. 10.8 miles away); The Village of New Washington / The New Washington Band (approx. 10.8 miles Circuit Riders / Bishop John Seybert (approx. 10.9 miles away); Village of Chatfield (approx. 12.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Attica.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 23, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 21, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 21, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.