Darlington in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
In the summer of 1865, just after the end of the Civil War, Federal troops began their occupation of many cities and towns in S.C. Units in Darlington in 1865-1866 included the 15th Maine Infantry, 29th Maine Veteran Volunteers. They camped on the grounds of the nearby St. John's Academy and used it as a hospital.
Four Federal privates (Patrick Gately and Ira Newhall of the 15th Maine and George Kinney and John Maloney of the 29th Maine) who died of disease while stationed in Darlington 1865-1866 were originally buried nearby. This area was called “Yankee Hill” for many years. Their remains were later removed and reburied at Florence National Cemetery.
Erected 2002 by Darlington Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16-51.)
Location. 34° 18.392′ N, 79° 52.417′ W. Marker is in Darlington, South Carolina, in Darlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Evangeline Drive and North Main Street (State Highway 52), on the right when traveling north Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Darlington SC 29532, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Darlington County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Darlington County Confederate Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Darlington County / Darlington County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of First Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. James Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Darlington Memorial Center (approx. half a mile away); Julius A. Dargan House (approx. half a mile away); First Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darlington.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for “Yankee Hill”.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 12, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,672 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on November 14, 2008. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2008, by Richard T. Roller of Bennettsville, South Carolina. 3. submitted on May 10, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.