Perrysburg in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fort Meigs Directional Marker
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number B.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission series list.
Location. 41° 33.631′ N, 83° 37.831′ W. Marker is in Perrysburg, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of West Front Street (U.S. 20) and Louisiana Avenue (Ohio Route 199), on the right when traveling west on West Front Street. This marker is located just off a paved walking path, in Hood Park, which is located on the northwest corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Perrysburg OH 43551, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Perrysburg / Perrysburg Plat Map (a few steps from this marker); Commodore Oliver Hazard PerryHistory Happened Here (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Wood County Jail (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Maumee and Western Reserve Road / Turnpike Milestones (approx. 0.8 miles away); A Strategic Location (approx. 0.8 miles away); Running a Gauntlet (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort Miamis During the War of 1812 (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perrysburg.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, according to the ORMC 1931 Planning Report, there were erected 177 of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type B, markers (see page 54). To date, I know of only three of these type B markers that are still standing.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 99 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 26, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.