Sarasota in Sarasota County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Wilson Family and Home
The Wilson House is significant as an example of early Sarasota architecture and as the home and medical office of C.B. Wilson.
In 1877, A.M. “Gus” Wilson settled in Miakka, then part of Manatee County. He served the community as postmaster, Indian agent, census enumerator, and state legistator. Gus was a vital participant in the campaign to create Sarasota County and became its first tax assessor. He and his wife Callie had six sons and four daughters. One son, Cullen Bryant (C.B.) became a prominent Sarasota doctor.
In 1907 Dr. Wilson purchased the home located on the southeast corner of Ringling Boulevard and South Orange Avenue from Edgar Ferdon, a local architect. The house was not only the Wilson home, but also Dr. Wilson’s medical office. He and his wife Fannie (the daughter of Sarasota pioneer C.L. Reaves) had two sons who were born in the home. When their first son Clyde H. was born in 1908, the house was a one-and-a-half story structure. Dr. Wilson enlarged the house by the time his second son, Reaves, was born in 1913.
The first addition to the house was a garage as Dr. Wilson was
Active in the community, C.B. served as president of First Trust Company of Sarasota and as a board member of Sarasota Memorial Hospital from its founding until his death in 1941. Following in his father’s footsteps, Reaves became a doctor. After serving as a surgeon in World War II, he returned to Sarasota and practiced medicine in the Wilson house. Clyde Sr., a legal and civic leader, was part of the group who financially supported the Bayfront Park project that included the Municipal Auditorium. He was a founding member of the Sarasota Jaycees and was active in a variety of legal and historical associations.
Clyde H. Wilson, Jr. was instrumental in saving the Wilson house, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, from demolition. In 2004, he, along with his sister Paula C. Wilson and others, contributed to the relocation of the home to its current site on land formerly owned by the Wilson family.
Erected 2010 by Sarasota County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4000 Honore Avenue, Sarasota FL 34233, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Little White Church at Bee Ridge (approx. 1.4 miles away); Bee Ridge Woman's Club (approx. 1.6 miles away); Friendship Baptist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Fruitville Elementary School (approx. 2.4 miles away); Riverview High School (approx. 3.4 miles away); Railroad History (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Bobby Jones Legend (approx. 3.6 miles away); Winter Quarters (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sarasota.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 30, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.