Columbia in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
146 Locust Street
Migrated to the area around 1575 to 1600 after separating from the Iroquois. Derives from the word 'Sasquesahanough', an Algonquin term meaning 'People at the Falls' or 'People of the Muddy River'. They also established villages south of Columbia in what is now known as Washington Boro. In 1675, they were defeated, relocated to MD and renamed 'Conestoga (Indians)'. Upon returning, a 1701 treaty with William Penn pledged the Colonists and Conestoga "Shall Forever Hereafter be as One Head & One Heart, & Live in True Friendship & Amity as One People."
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Peace • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1575.
Location. 40° 1.825′ N, 76° 30.278′ W. Marker is in Columbia, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on Locust StreetTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 146 Locust Street, Columbia PA 17512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Columbia Public Grounds Co. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Railroads During the Civil War (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbia (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Columbia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbia and Its Railroads (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lincoln Highway (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbia: a Transportation Hub (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 7, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.