Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Florida in Henry County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Girty's Island

Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail

 
 
Girty's Island Marker image. Click for full size.
Image courtesy of the Historical Marker Database
1. Girty's Island Marker
Inscription.  
Girty's Island

Named for George Girty,
renegade brother of Simon Girty.
This was his hiding place
between various treach-
erous expeditions.

 
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
 
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 41° 19.889′ N, 84° 9.2′ W. Marker was in Florida, Ohio, in Henry County. Marker was on Ohio Route 424 south of County Route M, on the right when traveling south. This marker was situated along the roadway that follows the Maumee River, at a bend in the roadway, opposite the location of Girty's Island. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 15586 Ohio Route 424, Napoleon OH 43545, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Civil War Camp Latty (approx. 3 miles away); Riverfront Industries Powered by Canal Water / How Napoleon Kept Its Name
Girty's Island Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 15, 2019
2. Girty's Island Marker
View looking southwest along present day Ohio Route 424, that was formerly U.S. Route 24. This marker was likely situated very near where the residential mailbox is presently located.
(approx. 4.1 miles away); The Henry County Courthouse (approx. 4.4 miles away); Winchester's Camp No. 3/Fort Starvation / The Old Kentucky Burial Grounds (approx. 6.3 miles away); Lock No. 13 & Independence Dam (approx. 7.3 miles away); Two Canals (approx. 7.3 miles away); Prairie Des Mascoutins / Damascus (approx. 9.4 miles away); Winchester's Camp #2 / Preston Island (approx. 10.4 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.

In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.

The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.

Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker, which is listed on page 71 of the ORMC 1931 Planning Report.
 
Also see . . .  Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on July 12, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 
 
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian
 
Girty's Island Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 15, 2019
3. Girty's Island Marker
View looking northeast along present day Ohio Route 424, that was formerly U.S. Route 24. This marker was likely situated very near where the residential mailbox is presently located.
Girty's Island Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 15, 2019
4. Girty's Island Marker
View of the bend in State Route 242 which marks where the roadway begins to run adjacent to Girty's Island.
Girty's Island Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington
5. Girty's Island Marker
A satellite view showing where I have marker situated. Actually, this 1930 Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker could have potentially been situated on either side of the roadway, anywhere along the portion of the roadway that runs adjacent to Girty's Island.
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission Marker Types image. Click for full size.
Image provided by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission publication, dated 1931., June 26, 2019
6. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission Marker Types
View of the three types of markers used by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. The marker on the left is a type A marker, the marker in the middle is a type C (just like our featured marker), and the marker on the right is a type B. For a better view double click on this picture.
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail Map image. Click for full size.
Image courtesy of the MidPointe Library System (www.MidPointeLibrary.org)
7. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail Map
A view of an original Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail Map, from 1930. For a better view double click on this picture.
 

More. Search the internet for Girty's Island.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 101 times since then. Photos:   1. submitted on July 12, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.   2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 16, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.   6, 7. submitted on July 12, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement