Defiance in Defiance County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Abatis and Camp
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
General Wayne’s Army in
1794 and General Winchester’s
Army in 1812 encamped on
Here also was the western
end of Gen. Winchester’s Abatis.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • War of 1812 • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1794.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 41° 16.51′ N, 84° 22.614′ W. Marker was in Defiance, Ohio, in Defiance County. Marker was on South Clinton Street (Ohio Route 111) south of Sunday Street, on the right when traveling south. I believe that the marker was situated along the side of the roadway, near the large boulder that also has information regarding General Wayne's Camp and General Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Defiance OH 43512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Route and Camp's (here, next to this marker); Graves of Soldiers (a few steps from this marker); Riverside Chapel (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles Elihu Slocum, M.D. (about 800 feet away); Riverside Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Defiance County Soldiers' & Sailors' Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); William C. Holgate Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Alexander Sankey Latty House (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Defiance.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker, which is listed on page 70 of the ORMC 1931 Planning Report.
Also see . . . Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 12, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 186 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 12, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 16, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6, 7. submitted on July 12, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.