Near Mendon in Mercer County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
One-fourth mile east.
Built by General Wayne
In August 1794.
A deserter from this fort
warned the Indians of
the American approach.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is August 1794.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 40° 40.83′ N, 84° 34.818′ W. Marker was near Mendon, Ohio, in Mercer County. Marker was on U.S. 127 north of Ohio Route 707, on the right when traveling north. This marker was most likely located along the east side of the highway, just prior to the bridge that crosses the St. Marys River. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Mendon OH 45862, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Rockford Bicentennial Historic MuralThis church founded c 1838 (approx. 3.6 miles away); Rockford (approx. 3.6 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away); Hedges Park Veteran's Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away); In Honor Of Army (approx. 3.7 miles away); In Honor Of Navy (approx. 3.7 miles away); In Honor Of Air Force (approx. 3.7 miles away).
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker, which is listed on page 73 of the ORMC 1931 Planning Report.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 11, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 139 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 31, 2022, by Jim Kuhn of Celina, Ohio. 2. submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 16, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.