Piqua in Miami County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Indian Agency House
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Indian Agency House
Built by Colonel John Johnston
in 1812. Here he kept 10,000
Indians as American allies.
Site of Fort Piqua
Built by Gen. Wayne in 1793.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • War of 1812 • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission series list.
Location. 40° 10.777′ N, 84° 15.742′ W. Marker is in Piqua, Ohio, in Miami County. Marker is on North Hardin Road (County Route 110) north of Ohio Route 66, on the right when traveling north. This marker was most likely located along the east side of the roadway, near several existing markers, adjacent to the Historic Johnston Farm and Indian Agency Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Piqua OH 45356, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Pickawillany (a few steps from this marker); Pickawillany (a few steps from this marker); John Johnston (a few steps from this marker); In Commemoration of the 94th & 110th Reg’s. O.V.I. (a few steps from this marker); Public History Movement (a few steps from this marker); Johnston Barn (approx. ¼ mile away); Prehistoric Indian Mound (approx. ¼ mile away); The Cider House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Piqua.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker, which is listed on page 74 of the ORMC 1931 Planning Report.
Also see . . . Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 113 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 17, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 7, 8. submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.