Elfers in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Once an Indian hunting ground called "Alafia," this area was surveyed by Samuel Hope in the 1840's and was successively known as "Alfiers," "The Neck," "Sapling Woods," and "Elfers" -- a variation of the Indian name. Fishing, timber and citrus supported early residents. The nearby Samuel and Elizabeth Pinder Baker home was built in 1882. Elfers Post Office was established in 1909. The town was incorporated from 1925 to 1933.
The State Bank of Elfers failed, due to the collapse of the "Florida land boom," just as its building was completed in 1926. The packing house established by the Elfers Citrus Growers Association in 1920, operated until destroyed by fire in 1966. The Tampa and Tarpon Springs Land Company was a major promoter of the area in the 1900's. Leading citrus groves included St. Austell-Elkhorn, and Peter O. Knight's Sans Souci. Another local grower, Gerben DeVries, authored the Chasco Fiesta legend.
Erected 1988 by Pasco Board of County Commissioners and The Historical Preservation Committee.
Location. 28° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elfers FL 34680, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Baker House (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Elfers School (approx. 0.7 miles away); West Elfers Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Sims Park (approx. 2.9 miles away); Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Seven Springs (approx. 3.3 miles away); Green Key (approx. 3.8 miles away); Rose Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elfers.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Elfers.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2008, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,416 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 19, 2008, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.