Near Blackstock in Chester County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Catholic Presbyterian Church
One Mile South
Divergent Presbyterian groups held services in this area as early as 1759. Rev. William Richardson, active in the area, is credited with unifying and naming them in 1770. The cemetery contains many graves of Revolutionary and Confederate soldiers. The present building was dedicated in 1842.
Erected 1964 by Chester County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12-1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the South Carolina, Chester County Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1759.
Location. 34° 36.606′ N, 81° 2.478′ W. Marker is near Blackstock, South Carolina, in Chester County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 97 and Old Catholic Church Road, on the right when traveling east on State Highway 97. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blackstock SC 29014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Graveyard Of The Richmond Covenanter Church Reformed PresbyterianBurrel Hemphill (approx. 5.7 miles away); Alexander's Old Fields (approx. 7 miles away); Battle Of Beckhamville (approx. 7 miles away); Home Site of Justice John Gaston (approx. 7.7 miles away); Battle of Fishing Creek (approx. 8 miles away); Original Site of Purity Presbyterian Church (approx. 9˝ miles away); Wilbur G. Grant Reservoir of Chester Metropolitan District (approx. 9.8 miles away); Mount Olivet Church (approx. 10.1 miles away); Camp Creek Methodist Church (approx. 10.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Catholic Presbyterian Church. "Historically and architecturally significant is this church which, after its organization in 1759, served the area’s first settlers (mostly Scotch-Irish Presbyterians) and later sent an impressive number of soldiers from its congregation to fight in the Revolution." (Submitted on March 26, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 20, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,703 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 20, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on June 6, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on November 20, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.