Fort Recovery in Mercer County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
On Christmas Day 1793
detached soldiers from Greenville to construct a
fort at the site of the 1791 battle. Within five days,
a work force large enough to house 250 men and capable
of defending against musket fire was completed -
four blockhouses connected by pickets. Wanting to
regain the Army's foothold and reputation, Wayne
considered calling the new post "Defiance" or
"Restitution" but decided on Fort Recovery.
Location. 40° 24.847′ N, 84° 46.874′ W. Marker is in Fort Recovery, Ohio, in Mercer County. Marker is on Fort Site Street south of West Boundary Street, on the right when traveling south. This marker is located along the "Fort Recovery Battlefield Walking Tour." More specifically, it is situated along the walking path that is found behind the Fort Recovery Museum, in the park that is part of the state historic site. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Fort Site Street, Fort Recovery OH 45846, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Battle of Fort Recovery (here, next to this marker); On This Triangle of Land. The Old Wabash River (a few steps from this marker); The Wabash (Ouabache) River (a few steps from this marker); Native Cultures (a few steps from this marker); Battle of the Wabash (within shouting distance of this marker); American Indian Tribes (within shouting distance of this marker); The Greeneville Treaty Boundary Line (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Recovery.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Wars, US Indian •
More. Search the internet for On Christmas Day 1793.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 20, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.