San Dimas in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Birthplace of San Dimas
La Cienega — Mud Springs — San Dimas.
Los Angeles - San Bernardino - Sonora Road stage station & artesian aquifer, a place favored by the Gabrielino Tongva Indians. Near here in 1774 and 1776 Juan Bautisa de Anza, trailblazer — colonizer, and his followers passed on their way from Sonora, Mexico to Monterey, California. And on November 12, 1826 Jedediah Strong Smith, trader — trapper — pathfinder, one of the most heroic pioneers of the nation, and the first non-native American to make his way overland to California, camped with his band of trappers near this spot on his way to the Mission San Gabriel.
First erected by the Pomona Valley Historical Society and the Service Organizations of San Dimas, dedicated in 1939. Refurbished by the San Dimas Women’s Club in 1954; the San Dimas Historical Society in 1995. Relocated by the San Dimas Historical Society in 2019.
Erected 2019 by San Dimas Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 34° 6.387′ N, 117° 48.621′ W. Marker is in San Dimas, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is on Bonita Avenue east of Cataract Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Located in Rhoads Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 W Bonita Ave, San Dimas CA 91773, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Santa Fe Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); San Dimas Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); La Casa de Carrion (approx. 1.4 miles away); Lordsburg Townsite (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Haugh Residence (approx. 2˝ miles away); Rain Bird Impact Drive Sprinkler Head (approx. 2.8 miles away); Pomona Assembly Center (approx. 3.1 miles away); Big Tree (approx. 3˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Dimas.
Regarding Birthplace of San Dimas. The town was originally called Mud Springs. The springs were located near Arrow Highway and San Dimas Canyon Road, the location of the first marker in 1939. The 1995 marker was located 0.3 miles west of there, before it went missing.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 82 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 4, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.