Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Benedict in Charles County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

On This Farm

 
 
On This Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
National Park Service, Thomas Stone National Historic Site, November 18, 2018
1. On This Farm Marker
Inscription.  Although you see a modern agricultural landscape, the land once known as "Dorsey Farm" and now Serenity Farm, has a history including Native American settlements, tobacco plantations, and military encampments. Since 10,000 B.C.
Native Americans camp and hunt along the Patuxent River.
(Image of pottery.)
Pope's Creek pottery made by Native Americans between 500 B.C. and ca. A.D. 300.

1608
Captain John Smith notes many tribal villages along the Patuxent River.
(Image of Captain John Smith)

1650s
Colonists establish a plantation.
(Image of Pottery.)
Shreds of German-made pottery found on the 17th century plantation.

1707
Captain Richard Smith granted 725 acres. The Smith family owns the land for 117 years.

1790
A burial ground for the Smith family African American slaves is established above Smith Creek.
(Image of African American.)

1814
Over 4,000 British soldiers land at Benedict and encamp on the hills to the west. Clement Dorsey owns the land.
(Image of musket balls.)
62 caliber musket balls recovered from British camp.

1824
Local
Harvest House exterior. image. Click for full size.
National Park Service, Thomas Stone National Historic Site, November 18, 2018
2. Harvest House exterior.
(Marker located on far side of structure.)
merchants James and William Morton purchase the Dorsey Farm. The Brown family acquires in 1954.

1965
The Robinson family purchase the farm and Adina Via Robinson names the land Serenity Farm. The family continue to own, operate, and occupy it today.

(Logo for the Maryland Department of Transportation's State Highway Administration.)
 
Location. 38° 31.06′ N, 76° 41.42′ W. Marker is in Benedict, Maryland, in Charles County. Marker is on Serenity Farm Rd 0.1 miles north of Prince Frederick Rd (Maryland Route 231). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Benedict MD 20612, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Enemy Camp (within shouting distance of this marker); Solid Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away); Camp Stanton (approx. 0.6 miles away); Benedict (approx. 0.6 miles away); The British are Coming (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Camp Stanton (approx. one mile away); War of 1812 (approx. 1.3 miles away); Maxwell Hall (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Benedict.
 
Regarding On This Farm. Marker is located on the northern side of "Harvest House" and about 20 feet from the "Enemy Camp" marker.
 
Also see . . .  Serenity Farm, Inc. (Submitted on August 5, 2019.)
On This Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
National Park Service, Thomas Stone National Historic Site, November 18, 2018
3. On This Farm Marker

 
Categories. AgricultureColonial EraNative AmericansWar of 1812
 
Harvest House exterior. image. Click for full size.
By David Lassman, November 18, 2018
4. Harvest House exterior.
(Marker located on farm side of structure.)
Serenity Farm Entrance Sign image. Click for full size.
By David Lassman, November 18, 2018
5. Serenity Farm Entrance Sign
 

More. Search the internet for On This Farm.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2019. This page has been viewed 79 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 5, 2019. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement