Byward Market - Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Ontario — Central Canada
The Royal Canadian Mint / La Monnaie Royale Canadienne
Constructed in 1905-1908 to house a branch of the British Royal Mint, this building was one of several designed in the late gothic style by the Department of Public Works in the first part of this century. The building combines the function of a mint (producing coins and medals) with that of a refinery for gold produced by Canadian mines. As a royal mint it also produced imperial gold sovereigns which were a basis of currency. The institution came under the sole jurisdiction of the Government of Canada in 1931 and was re-named the Royal Canadian Mint.
Construit en 1905-1908 pour abriter une succursale de la Monnaie royale britannique, ce bâtiment fut conçu dans le style gothique que le ministère des Travaux publics avait adopté au début du siècle. Il servait d'hôtel de la monnaie, où l'on frappait monnaie et médailles, et de service d'affinerie de l'or des mines canadiennes. Comme Monnaie royale, il produisait aussi des souverains qui avaient cours légal. L'institution passa sous la juridiction du gouvernement canadien en 1931 et fut renommée la Monnaie royale canadienne.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Man-Made Features. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1905.
Location. 45° 25.871′ N, 75° 41.919′ W. Marker is in Ottawa, Ontario. It is in Byward Market - Parliament Hill. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Sussex Drive (Route 93) and Bruyere Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located on the Royal Canadian Mint grounds, just inside the main front gate, near the southeast corner of the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 320 Sussex Dr, Ottawa ON K1N 5C7, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Motherhouse, Sisters of Charity at Ottawa (within shouting distance of this marker); Mother House, Sisters of Charity / Maison Mère, Sœurs de la Charité (within shouting distance of this marker); Élisabeth Bruyère (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Hôpital Élisabeth Bruyère / Élisabeth Bruyère Hospital (about 150 meters away); La Salle Academy Tercentenary (about 180 meters away); Basilique Notre-Dame / Notre Dame Basilica (about 210 The Historic Notre Dame Cathedral Restoration (about 210 meters away); The College of Bytown (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ottawa.
More about this marker. Marker is visible through the front gate, but a closer look will require an access pass or the purchase of a public tour ticket.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 24, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 10, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.