Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Site of College Building
Accommodated 100 Wounded
(Marker Number MT-30.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 35° 2.714′ N, 85° 18.907′ W. Marker was in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker was on West 12 Street west of Poplar Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 501 West 12th Street, Chattanooga TN 37402, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. The Chattanooga Brush Electric Light Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carver Memorial Hospital (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Union Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Military History of Chattanooga (approx. ¼ mile away); Crutchfield House (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Crutchfield House (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); G. W. Franklin (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to Suzette Raney of the Local History and Genealogy Department of the Chattanooga Public Library, the streets that this marker was originally situated upon, were part of the West Side Urban Renewal Project that took place in the 1960s. This particular marker was most probably originally located on what is today the back grounds of the Chattanooga, "Youth & Family Development Department," perhaps very near the neighboring US 27 loading ramp.
Regarding Site of College Building. With much help from Suzette
According to a newspaper article published in the Chattanooga Times on, December 1, 1893, there was a committee appointed from the chamber of commerce to identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by Federal and Confederate troops. These points were to later be marked by a bronze tablet bearing a description of the event which transpired at that point. According to a Battlefield Guide, published in 1897 by the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, “For the 20th reunion of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, September 18-20, 1889, the publisher of the Guide compiled the following list of historical points, which list, has since been revised and bronze tablets placed on or near the sites by the Government.” So it would appear that it was sometime between late 1893 and 1897 that these tablets were erected, by the government.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 25, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on August 25, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 26, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 25, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.